Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:22:46 -0500
I am a new subscriber, but I have read many of the back listings and still
have not found an answer so here goes.

We have 2 ferrets (Keara 1.25 yrs & Giorgio 5 months) We have had Keara for
a year and Giorgio for about 3 months.  We had Keara sort of litter trained
through a lot of hard work and also by finally restricting her to a much
smaller area than the whole house like she used to get (now she only is out
when she is supervised) Giorgio will go in the litter box sometimes by
himself, but then other times he will go right next to it or somewheres
else.  He does this on a daily basis (I think it is mostly Giorgio that is
having the problem although I have still caught Keara going where she is not
supposed to.

When we are not home they are kept in a room that is about 10' x 10' so they
are not to cramped then we let then out to play with us in the evenings and
mornings.  When they have to be locked up in their smaller cage they use the
litter box perfectly in there - I do not get it.  I try to keep their box
clean although it does not seem to matter they do this even when the box is
clean - I have tried using more litter boxes yet they will then still go
next to them not in them.

I have tried using lots of encouragement and treats, we have also tried
disciplining them although that definitely has no effect.  Please give me
some suggections I am getting tired of cleaning up so much on a daily
basis - I love them dearly, but I need help with their training.

We have had success with getting them to come and recognizing their names so
I know that they are very smart (although they do forget who I am when I
take them outside to play in the great outdoors) I hope someone has some
suggestions