From:
Kara Ceraolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 18:35:55 -0700
I'm sorry that this isn't solely related to ferrets, but I'm sure you all
will have valuable opinions and I really don't know where else to turn.

My sister recently started working at a local boarding facility which has
75-100 dogs at any given point as well as taking cats, ferrets, birds,
and other pets.  The kennel also offers grooming to their clients.

Here's the thing.  The groomers, as a rule, clip dogs' nails as short as
possible--i.e. past the quick.  They pay no regard to screams of pain or
bleeding.  My sister complained after watching a normally gentle and
lovable bloodhound start snarling and yelping in pain.  He had to be
muzzled and restrained by another person for nail trimming!  The other
employees said they do it because owner's don't want the nail to grow
back as quickly.  They said it's common for there to be little pawprint
trails of blood as they walk the dogs back to their cages.

My sister complained in a comment book, and was basically turned against
by everyone and told she was completely wrong and the practice was just
fine and would continue.  She called me almost in tears after walking up
to a run and seeing a dog sitting on a floor smeared with blood.  Her
nails, she said, had been chopped so their was almost nothing left.

I freak out if I graze the nerve (white part) and my ferrets wince!  I
find these groomer's routine to be horrifying and completely unacceptable.
But what can I do?  What, if any, agency would care about this?  I could
write an editorial, but then my sister would just be treated worse and
nothing would change.  Any ideas?  Please tell me we're not the only ones
who thinks there is a problem here.

Kara
(Bennnet, Bianca, Merlin, O'Meara, Anakin, & Amidala)

Kelli
(Trouble & Magic)