Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:45:39 -0500
Putting a blanket or quilt over your fridge/freezer also makes sense
but allow the ventilation portion to not be covered in case the power
comes on (so large safety pins or diaper pins are useful for that).

We got a wonderful new LG with bottom freezer last year and froze a lot
of blue ice packets beforehand. With the cover we could use the fridge
for about three days, going from the thermometer we had in it, and
then the freezer was between the needed temps for the two so we began
putting out bottles of water at night to get them cold. Later we used
the freezer as our fridge (again, using a thermometer and using the
night chilled water trick for more temp maintenance). We used up the
essential things that needed to be cold before power came back and I
cleaned up the fridge and freezer completely then.

For us having hot water made a huge difference and Steve put it on a
higher setting than we normally use. A long soak will bring up body
temp and drinking hot water also will help heat the core. We do not
have a gas stove here; though some in other villages in the condo
complex do, depending on the builder.

Sukie (not a vet) Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/