From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 03:37:57 +1300
Hi,

I've had Xena Warrior Ferret for a little over two months now.  She is an
energetic 2yr old female who until recently has shown no interest in being
held for any length of time.  A few days ago, out of the blue she jumped up
and went to sleep in my lap and has done so nearly every night since.
Although I'm sure she's been happy with her new home (lots of dooking and
wardancing) this act really gave me the warm fuzzies, kinda like I'd been
given the stamp of approval :-).

Speaking of sleeping, it seems that most ferrets are heavy sleepers, from
what I've read.  Xena is an extremely light sleeper.

I wrote a while about Xenas scratching problem.  The consensus of opinions I
received seemed to be that bitter apple was the way to go.  I tried two
(rather expensive) 'biter apple type' products, but Xena pretty much ignored
them :-( For not much more than the bitter apple products, I bought plastic
carpet runners and this has helped a lot.  She does not scratch as much now,
but when she does at least it is not the carpet that suffers :-) The fact
that she is getting nowhere on the plastic doesn't seem to faze her at all.

Treats.  Xena enjoys a wide range of tidbits, but she goes absolutely nuts
over (dehusked) sunflower seeds!  In fact the quickest way to get her
attention is to rattle the seed container.  The seeds go in one end and out
the other pretty much unchanged :-) I also give her small amounts of
wheatgerm oil (vitamin e) which she loves (no ferretone here I'm afraid).

Smell.  Xena has an odour.  Although I would not consider it bad, it is
noticeable.  She has not been bathed since she has been with me and I change
her bedding twice per week.  I bought a scented pet collar which lets out a
subtle scent and is supposed to last for months.  The package did not list
what the ingredients were and when I first opened it is was really quite
strong.  Xena has been wearing the collar for the better part of a week and
does not seem at all concerned about it.  The scent has indeed become quite
subtle and the difference is amazing.  Does anyone have any comments on
these things?  Like I said I've no idea what they are made of.

It's almost summer here (in NZ) and I've bought a harness with a view to
going for walkies in the evenings.  Anyone have any tips on this?  My
neighbour reports seeing a ferret being walked in a park not far from here.
I'm a bit concerned about what condition her foot pads may get into.
Perhaps we should start off small at first, in order to toughen them up a
bit?

Can't believe how much fun these critters are!

Regards,
-David & Xena.