From:
Cheryl Cato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:27:50 -0600
I wonder if someone could help settle an issue for me?  I'm struggling with
this flu shot issue.  Without naming names - one doctor is telling me that
if I get a flu shot, that my fuzzies could get the flu from me during the
"shedding period" - but is uncertain how long that may be.  The other
doctor says that's preposterous - that besides the virus in flu shots being
killed and non-transmittable - animals can't get the flu from people.

I understood that my "kids" *can* get the flu from me.  I thought that I
also read where people can get the flu from animals.  I've been out to the
CDC's web site, and Mayo Clinic and some others - but can't find anything
to ease my mind.

So I don't know whether to risk getting the shot and giving them the flu,
or risk not having the shot and giving them the flu.  If they can get it
from me after I've had a flu shot - how long is the "shedding period", and
what kind of precautions would I need to take?  Stay completely away?  Wear
a mask and wash hands thoroughly?

Does anyone have any input?  I have several kiddos that are medical
"special cases" and they wouldn't survive any kind of serious illness.
Consequently - I am fiercely protective.  (and aren't we all?)

Cheryl and the Wrecking Crew