From:
Jeffrey Veiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 14:38:12 -0400
From: ME!
>I'm looking for a ferret cage that is about 48"x36"x24".  Collapsability
>would be nice as well, but not required.  I found one sold by Ferret
>Outfitters for $200 but I haven't seen it yet (still waiting for the
>catalog).  If anyone knows of someplace to get a cage like this for less
>money (but equal quality), please e-mail me and I'll post the results.

I received the following (edited) replies.  Thanx to all of you!  The method
I chose is described following the replies.

[This section was abbreviated in the original distrubution since some of it
is more or less commercial, but the full unedited version appears here in
the archive.  BIG]

From: Cindy Claus <[log in to unmask]>
Have you though of building your own cage to fit what you want??  It can be
done very easy.  All the stuff is avail in the hardware store.  All You have
to do is cut it to size and put it together.  My cage is custom made.  The
only part I had made was the tin pan that goes under the hole cage because I
do not have a metal bending machine.  What I did was go to a local air
condition company that does air ducts and had them make it for me out of
sheet tin.  I take the ends off my cage and lay it flat to store it out of
the way.  The wire material I made the cage from has a mesh of ONE INCH BY
TWO INCHES and makes a very neat cage.

From: Shannon & Michael <[log in to unmask]>
I can provide you with any size wire cage you want.  How ever many levels
you want, and how ever many doors you want.  I think that size cage you
described would be about $200, but with me you can design it yourself.  P.S.
It would not be collapsable....

From: Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Try your local pet store and ask after a 'cat playpen.' It's exactly those
dimensions, but is 4 ft *tall* and 3x2 long/wide.  I've got five shelves
each in my two, and my ferrets love them.  there's room for multiple
hammocks and there are two doors - one top, one bottom - for easy
accessiblility.  Also, it's set onto a linoleum-lined wooden, wheeled frame
that cleans, moves, and detaches like a breeze, and locks on pretty
sturdily.  the cage itself collapses, although it's mighty heavy.  i got
mine for about $150 apiece, ordered direct from the manufacturer (i'll try
and get that for you shortly).

From: [log in to unmask]
I bought the $200 cage from the Outfitters catalog.  I love it!  It was a
lot of money at the time but it is extremely well made.  It has 2 ramps and
levels, 2 doors; a large one at the bottom and a smaller one about the
height of the first level when installed.  It is collapsible to 4" high and
easily cleaned.  Also, it has coasters on the bottom so you can roll it
around to wherever you want to.  I've had mine for a year now and am still
completely satisfied with it.  I keep 3 of my four in there and there's
plenty of room for you to customize it for the kids!  My only wish is that
it were taller so I could fit MORE FERRETS!!!  It's the math you know.

From: MICHAEL FOX <[log in to unmask]>
(Eydie Fox, Ferrets First Rescue and Shelter, Carlsbad NM)
The same cage that Ferret Outfitters has is also carried by Dog outfitters
for $115.00.  It is collapsible and very nice.  You can call DF at
1-800-367-3647.  This is the ad in there catalog:

 "Designed especially for ferrets.  It features easy accessible door
 openings, durable plastic resting benches, 2 mesh ramps, a hammock (for
 snoozing), and corrosive-resistant black electrodisposition finish.
 Midwest has covered everything that a ferret (and owner) would need for a
 comfortable living environment at an affordable cost.  Special features for
 the owner: two door openings , easy to roll plastic base with swivel
 casters and collapsible for easy portability.  36"L x 24"W x 48"H order #
 A9900140

From: Anissa Hance <[log in to unmask]>
I have found a company in southern california that makes multilevel powder-
coated cages.  I found them at a pet supply trade show and the owner
mentioned that he would let me buy them at the wholesale cost.  If this is
true the company makes a cage that if I remember correctly is about
48"x36"x24" for $155: 4 story (3 ramped levels)- 46" high, 36" length, 24"
wide, Powdercoated in white and sits in a sheet metal pan, has two metal
handles and one door opening.  Wholesale price is $151.48.  The company is
Fern Cage Manufacturing Co.  (818) 365-2615, (818) 361-3857

-----
I decided to buy the cage from Dog's Outfitters.  I called late Monday
morning and received the cage Tuesday morning!  The total cost was $123.97.
They also sent me a catalog with some ferret stuff at great prices but since
they are a wholesaler, they have a minimum purchase of $75.  The cage is
fantastic, though!

Thanx again!

Jeff, Cal Sydney, Blackfoot, Mo, & Mary

Jeffrey Veiss ([log in to unmask])            560 Horizon Center Blvd.
Mostly Friendly Unix System Administrator     Robbinsville, NJ 08691
International Public Safety Group             (609) 588-1099
SHL Systemhouse, Inc.                         (609) 588-0908 (fax)