From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:30:33 PDT
Re: Screaming Ferrets

Well...I've yet to hear a scream, but our oldest was quite a cryer when
he was a kit. He didn't like being alone and would cry whenever he heard/saw
someone. It was quite a loud "waaaaaa". (My sister called him "little
quacker" since it sounded duck-like to her.) He grew out of it and is now
the most emotionally sensitive of our ferrets. He is the most needy in terms
of affection and attention. He also gets sad and hurt feelings more than
the others too. None of the other fur-kids cried...of course there were other
ferrets for them and maybe they weren't as sensitive.

Re: Biting Ferret - Charles S. McCarthy

Nice story about your little girl Uinta. It sounds like she was lucky to
have found you. It sometimes seems sad that there are charming, lovable
little ferrets hiding in unhappy, biting bodies. It is always a special
person to take the time and patience to bring out the true personalities
in these creatures.

We adopted two littermates 1-2 months ago who were at the petstore for 2
months of their 3+ month lives.  They had zero socialization and in fact
the female of the two is a "discriminating" biter.  About 85% of the time,
she bites women only.  I figure she must have learned that one in the pet
store.  Anyways....  through alot of work on her and our part, she's come a
long ways.  She still has a ways to go (as my feet, arms, hands, etc.  can
attest), but I think she'll make it.  She loves attention and loves to give
kisses.  (Unfortunately her kisses are often followed by a *chomp!*.) She
seems like she has a sweet personality - now if we can get past the bites...

-kim, mike, Squirt ("Cry? Me? Never!"), Pippi (Too many socks to destroy and
 people to see), Atlas (It's a fish. It's a boat. It's AQUAFERRET!), and
 Hijinx ("Bite? No....they're love-nips.")

Kimberly Burkard        |              _
Xerox, Rochester, NY    |       _____C .._. fu-til'i-ty   n. 1. an act having
[log in to unmask] |  ____/     \___/  no useful result  2. herding
[log in to unmask] <____/\_---\_\    ferrets.