From:
Ted Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 10:21:47 EST
Jeanne,

I am a South African, staying in Canada whilst my husband is studying here.
I met and fell in love with a little ferret named Orville.  Prior to
adopting him (and subsequently Rajah) I checked with our local authorities
to make sure I'd be able to bring them into the country with me and keep
them as pets.

The authorities I was directed to are: State Vet (Durban - tel (031) 326731)
and the Natal Parks Board (Pietermaritzburg - tel (0331) 471961).  The N.P.B
is a provincial thing - so what they require may not be the same as what
other provinces require.  Both were very helpful and didn't seem to think
there would be any problems.  Neither said outright that they were illegal -
however I did tell the N.P.B that the ferrets are both neutered and then
they were relieved and proceeded to tell me what to do.  So trying to take
whole ferrets into the country might well present a problem - in case of
escape and upsetting the local meerkats or ground squirrels or mongoose or
something.....  But neutered ferrets are fine.  Although they couldn't tell
me whether there were any others in the country.

A vet import permit and health certificate are required followed by a 30 day
quarantine.  ( I was told a house quarantine might be possible) The Parks
Board said I must get the permit before bringing the ferrets into South
Africa.  I will also need a certificate to keep them 'in captivity' (yep,
they're regarded as wild:( - but they are exotics to our country) which must
be renewed annually.  It is issued free of charge though.

I got this info back in April '95.  I will recheck it prior to returning to
South Africa with the ferrets, but I would be interested in any other
information you might have come up with, because it seems to me that they
are not illegal, as long as you go through the correct (bureaucracy!)
channels.

Hope this helps.

Tanya,
Orville & Rajah