From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 1994 09:57:55 -0500
> From: <[log in to unmask]>
> Date:   Fri, 11 Feb 1994 03:42:51 -0500
> Subject: Re: Outdoors with your ferret
>
> To: Gail Reilly.
>

>> You wrote "We went out again today, but had to come in when the
>> neighbor's cats came out.  No need to take chances."
>
> If you have a juvenile ferret, that might be true.  But a wound up
> adult ferret (like they probably are if they're outdoors exploring) is
> more than a match for even a large cat, should said cat be unwise
> enough to attack the ferret.
>
> [Especially a big male ferret. Ed.]

        I believe a big male can hold his own with a house cat.  But a
big old tom cat I would never take the chance.  Sebastian who is around
3.5 to 3.75 lbs.  Almost got jumped by a big tom cat.  I got in between,
yelled at the  cat and grabbed Sebastian.  I've also read on this list
of several people who's ferrets were killed by cats.  Usualy females.
It's just not worth taking a chance with an unknown cat or dog.

        My sister has two cats one is a big chicken but likes to sit
on top of the carry cage and look in.  If ferret gets out she runs for
the hills.  Her oldest would probably kill them if she had the chance.  So
they never get to see each other outside of the cage.  On the other hand
my brother has a toy collie and a cat.  The dog loves the ferrets and the
cat could careless.  They were eating out of the same dish once and the cat
acted like the ferrets weren't even there.

        An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.  Or
something like that.  Use your own judgement, every case is different.

> P.S. Bongo has passed away.

        Sorry to hear of Bongo.  Good luck on your struggle with the leagal
system.

        Brad,