From:
Shea Anson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 08:58:44 EDT
Okay all, thanks for all of the tips about how often I should bathe my
ferret.  I've felt like a heel for days because of some of the email I
received telling me that I was "harming" my ferret and that I was being
"selfish" because I was putting my ferret's health at risk rather than
dealing with her smell.

Also, someone told me that "If you don't like the way they smell, why get a
ferret???" Well, I don't mind the way they smell ~ seriously.  But as a
person who has suffered severe allergies and asthma all her life I have
yearned to find a pet to which I am not allergic.  If I let my ferret go 3
-4 months without a bath I am harming myself also.  I have a ferret that
runs under dusty furniture, gets into anything she's not supposed to, and
will possibly carry dust mites around the house with her.  As anyone with
allergies will note ~ dust mites can easily cause allergies.  Rather that
suffer discomfort myself, my ferret can suffer through a bath once a week
and be clean ~ or she can be happy and dirty and let me suffer daily.

And I thank those people who emailed me to tell me that they do bathe their
ferrets every 1 or 2 weeks with no problems.  Ya'll made me feel better
about my situation and didn't cause me any anguish over whether or not I
was harming the poor baby.

Thanks for all of the responses ~

Shea & Trixie