From:
Steven Woodcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 17:11:27 -0400
A couple of responses to previous posts.

> I have a 4.5 yo sprite who sometimes wheezes when she sleeps.... Have any
>of you had any experience with allergic bronchitis or asthma is ferrets?

Cindy:
We have a 4.5 year old sprite, and she too wheezes a little bit.  Always
has.  Our vet has been unable to find any overt cause, and it doesn't seem
to slow her down in the slightest.

>Has anyone out there had a ferret who needed to have its eye removed.

Katie:
The ferret I just mentioned above, Minx, is one-eyed.  We believe she caught
a cigarrette ash in one eye when she was being shipped to the pet store;
when we found her the eye was infected.  To be fair to the store they WERE
treating her, but they'd marked her down for destruction if we hadn't come
along and rescused her.  She was 12 weeks old.

We had the eye removed since our vet said it would always be a danger for
reinfection if we left it in.  Minx has been FANTASTIC ever since; in fact,
she's the single most active and *brilliant* animal anybody here at
Wyrdhaven has ever seen.  She can get into *anything* and is absolutely
fearless.  I think she gets along better with one eye than some of our
two-eyed children do.

So long as your ferret is in good health, I'm sure he'll get along fine.
You won't need any kind of patch; after they sew the eye shut you almost
won't be able to tell at a casual glance that he'll be one-eyed.  The eye
socket will fill in with fat tissue and fur will grow over it.

Steve and Colleen
Continually Matching Wits with Newone, Zebulon Pike, Minx, Slinky,
                               Puck, Taz, Scamp, Rikki, and Ranger
Waiting on the Other Side:  Ripple and Missy
+==========================================================================+
|                                                        _                 |
| Steven Woodcock                                  _____C .._.             |
| Senior Software Engineer, Gameware          ____/     \___/              |
| Lockheed Martin Information Real3D         <____/\_---\_\    "Ferretman" |
| Phone:   719-597-5413                                                    |
| E-mail:  [log in to unmask] (Work), [log in to unmask] (Home)   |
| Web:     http://www.cris.com/~swoodcoc/wyrdhaven.html (Top level page)   |
|          http://www.cris.com/~swoodcoc/ai.html        (Game AI page)     |
|          http://www.cris.com/~swoodcoc/ferrets.html  (Weasel page)       |
| Disclaimer: My opinions in NO way reflect the opinions of                |
|             the Lockheed Martin Information Real3D                       |