From:
Erica Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:42:46 EST
Hi everyone,

Last night one of my ferrets, Benji, kept walking a little bit, then
laying his head on the ground and flopping over.  He had no energy, was
extrememly hot to the touch, and appeared to be limping slightly on his
left foot.  Earlier yesterday he was playing with one of my other ferrets
and cried out a little bit, but I don't know if this is related.  We
took him to the all night animal hospital an hour and a half away where
they said his temperature was 106.9 deg.  The normal temp for a ferret
is 101 deg -- 102 deg.  They kept him over night because they feared he
might seizure due to his extremely high temperature and gave him some
antibiotics and put him on a catheter.  They called me this morning to
say that he wasn't eating anything, which was understandable, but there
does appear to be some trauma to his front left foot so they are doing
bloodwork and x-rays.  He was acting a little sluggish the day before,
but nothing like last night.  Does anyone have any idea what could have
brought this sudden fever on?  I have two other ferrets and both are
acting healthy.  Thanks for any input.

Erica