From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:44:54 -0400
If we've run into this combo before I've forgotten about it.  Meeteetse
has begun to turd in the beds, esp. the high up ones.  It's not an easy
problem since they clip in and I have some upper body neuromuscular damage
from a tropical disease which makes certain normal motions painful and
others especially any positions which are not done low down are very
difficult.  I can lift weights of high amounts with some precautions, but
ask me to pull out an electric plug, esp. one higher than my waist and
it's a major operation, for instance.)

Anyway, she's going to be 8 later this year, recently had an ultrasound
because she has a form of benign splenic tumor, a reoccurance of insulinoma
and a reoccurance of adrenal neoplasia.  Not being a very good surgical
candidate and given the time frame of these problems when treated with
meds combined with typical life spans it was felt that going the medical
route is better for her.

There are several possibilities which seem to be here.  The first is that
the litter pots are too uncomfy for her, but on each cage floor with pots
(No floor is farther than one level for at least two litter pots.) there
are shallow ones for ill animals.  The back bathroom which we are using as
an alternative place for her (but which Ashling will need with her surgery)
has two pots and both are easy entry.  She does have some muscle loss so
this remains a possibility.  She is also getting around more easily since
the start of her pred .  She doesn't show any signs of the litter bothering
her feet, BTW, and has four of the best feet we've ever seen on an old
ferret.

Another possibility is that it's a form of self-assertion with her adrenal
growth, and with the pressure of Ashling being more assertive in behavior.

Yet another possibility is jealousy over foods.  Meeteetse is over-weight,
but Ashling and Warp both have trouble holding weight now.  (Warp has
intestinal damage which causes that, and Ashling is either just too busy
with the hyperness caused by her adrenal to maintain weight, or may have
something going on beyond a standard adrenal neoplasia.  Ashling is due to
have some more tests and will be opened up, perhaps sooner than they wanted
to do so.  Hoping that it's just a neoplasia, but with such marked changes
it could be worse though she doesn't smell like she has a malignancy.)

It may be that Meeteetse is punishing us for others getting good, stinky
A/D soup (which is not a smell that can be hidden in our tiny place) when
she's only getting a few licks for flavor.  The timing of when she turds
in bedding fits that.

Suggestions from those who have been in this spot?  Something important I
might have missed?

Oh, don't know if I mentioned it, but Ashling actually knocked down the
ventilation deflector on a CEILING vent.  She's always been an aggressive
adventurer, but with this adrenal she is climbing more than ever and then
jumping for anything she sees even higher up.  Reminds me of Maddy, the
chimp, who punched her way into the ceiling and tried to get into the vents
once decades ago.