Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:00:28 -0400
I see someone posted about C-Diff in their ferret?

Is it spread species to species, ferret to human and vice versa? Or
is the gut flora different for species?

I just lost my own father to C-DIff last week. Oddly, our hosptitals
are not running rampant with this fast spreading super bug in the
Chatt, TN area yet even though it's becoming a national problem and
plauge (like MRSA). Yet, up in Jersey? Holy crap! I walked the ICU and
saw patient after patient on respirators fighting for their lives from
the infection (Cooper hospital). Health care workers told me it's a
wide spread problem. Look it up on the net. Very interesting.

The thing is C-Diff is known as the "hospital super bug" and is a
problem primarily in various healthcare institutions. It's not spread
all over in our general population (yet). So how is already kinda in
the ferret general population already? As far as I know it's not a big
problem in animal hospitals yet (at least here). God help us if it
does, cause really, the precautions taken in our vetenary hospitals
are not very good.

I'll tell you one thing dudes. The isolation procedures in place for
our protection in hospitals is a fricken joke. Even in the top notch
Cooper hospital in Jersey. My husband and son work in the restaurant
industry and their procedures faaaaaaaaaaaaar exeed anything they do
in our national hospitals. He was totally twitching the whole time we
were in that hospital (as with any hospitals we've been in). Everything
from the condition baseboards, how things are swept, the number of
seconds healthcare workers are require to wash, the type of protective
garb ..... it's a joke. It really makes you appreciate what the better
restuarants with responsible personal do to protect us all.

Wolfy