From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:59:14 -0400
Please feel free to cross post this to other lists where applicable.

It is that time of year, again.  The ADV Tree of Giving is up and
running.  Unfortunately, most of the ferrets on the tree come from one
of 2 households.  Now, I know there are more people with ADV+ ferrets
out there, so why haven't you sent your information to Kris Mewton?

All ferrets that test positive for ADV are eligible to be on the tree.
And, while many of the ferrets are from shelters, this tree is not just
about shelter ferrets or needy ferrets.  It is about ADV and education,
and remembering those who are unlucky enough to gotten ADV.

To place a furkid on the Tree, all you need to do is email a picture and
brief story about the ferret to Kris Mewton at:

To visit the tree, go to:
http://www.mkaresq.com/ADV/adv_giving_tree.htm

Although some of my ferrets are ADV+, at this time I am able to
financially provide for their needs.  I do not put them on the tree
to 'get stuff', but rather to give others a chance to get to know more
about them, and more about what it is like to live with ADV.

In past years, some of the people who have chosen to give my ferrets
gifts have corresponded with me, asking about the furkid they chose and
what his/her life is like.  For me, it is a chance to let others know
that ADV+ ferrets are really just ferrets.  It also gives me a chance
to let people know how we deal with ADV - what precautions we must take,
and what kinds of supportive care may be required.

If you are an individual and do not feel right letting other people send
your ferrets gifts, you can always ask that a small donation be made in
your ferret's name to ADV research.  All of us with ADV+ kids would love
to see some advances in the research of this disease, and that will only
happen if enough money is given.

And, there is a part of the tree for those ferrets who had ADV and have
gone to the Bridge.  The ADV Memorial Tree is for all ferrets who were
ADV+, whether they died from ADV or from other causes.  Again, to place
a ferret on the tree, email the picture and story to Kris Mewton at:

The tree is still under construction, and some of the stories are not yet
in place.  Still, I urge everyone to visit the Trees, and learn something
about these kids.  Reading about ADV, and the ferrets that have it will
not spread the disease.  To view the Trees, visit:
http://www.mkaresq.com/ADV/adv_giving_tree.htm

--
Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!