From:
Kristen Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:18:01 EST
Hi, my pet human wants me to introduce me and my brothers and sisters (some
whom are with me in spirit).  I'm Pockets, I was the first ferret she ever
saw, she was shopping for fish, but guess what?  She found something even
better, ME!  I'm 8 and almost didn't live.  I started having seizures just
after I got home.  the vet (her cat one) didn't think I'd make it, but a
few years on Phenobarbital as needed really helped.  (of course she found a
GREAT ferret vet then too).  I had right adrenal surgery when I was 5 and
got Lupron shots last winter and now getting them again.  They aren't
helping much this time and she's worried about me.  Next came my brother
Herbie, she got him from work.  A customer came in and said his fiance
wanted a baby and had to get rid of him.  Mommy couldn't say no.  He was
about my age then (6 mo) and was lots of fun and healthy we thought.  He
died suddenly at 3 of Diabetes.  She said she wanted a white fert, so back
to a pet store she trots.  Sure nuff, she spies Katie, in the cage next to
Katie is a boy fert.  Never one not to hold them all, out of the cage comes
Spanky, they dive for each other.  Come to find out they were both 3 and
had lived together all there lives with a college girl.  My mom COULDN'T
split them up.  So home come 2 more.  Katie died of adrenal disease at 5
and spanky of old age?  at 11.  Next came Sweetpea, he was in a pet store
in a tiny cage, they said he was mean and bit.  (I would too in a small
cage)  He was 6 mo old.  I couldn't leave him there.  Well, of course he
had to get his own personal playmate, so Redman came home shortly after.
Redman got an intestinal bug and got better on antibiotics, then a week
later with NO warning he got REAL sick and died.  Well, sweetpea had been
sick off and on all his life (never could find out why though).  a week
after his brother died, Sweetpea gave up and fight and went to visit his
brother.  They were both 4.  Last dec, mom saw an add in the paper for a
white fert real cheap, and I was getting lonely again.  So off she goes,
but she can NEVER come home with just 1.  Lilly (sister) is 5 now, and
digger (brother) is almost 2.  But guess what?  she was at a grocery store
one day and a lady she doesn't know comes over and said" i know you love
ferrets and I have to get rid of mine, would you take her?"  I know the
meaning of no better then mommy.  Home comes Tikki, a little girl who is
completely trusting, but oh so little, she was so malnourished, mommy was
really worried.  She only 6 mos, but she is big and healthy now.  None stop
playing and love her morning showers at mommies feet.  Is this what ferret
math is?  Mommy only has 4 of us right now, think a few more may find her
soon though.  She cant live without a houseful of us.  She rescues ferrets
if needed, only problem is, they end up staying.  Mommy life is fill of fun
and love cause of us all.  Thank you.