From:
MS JEANNE E STADTMILLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 10:01:49 -0500
Once again the negativity of some people here on the FML amazes me.

No one EVER said the HSUS policy change was perfect.  There is still much
work to be done.  However, it is blatantly obvious to most folks (national
organizational politics aside) that it is a MAJOR step forward.

The HSUS policy, tho far from perfect, is now a WRITTEN document that can be
held up to other states, legislatures, animal control organizations as a
positive pro-ferret document.  Previously, it was one of the most important
documents thrown in the faces of pro-ferret organizations.  How can this not
be "something wonderful?"

Unfortunately, for some people here on the FML, the change was brought about
by the L.I.F.E.  organization.  According to the pattern developing over the
past couple of years, this fact negates all the work done for ferrets in
general.  There are, in case the general public doesn't realize this,
several major national organizations besides L.I.F.E.  F.U.R.O.  was the
first (but they are, I believe, "checking out".) Then came the A.F.A.  There
are very tight "battle lines" drawn between the groups, unfortunately.
There have been many opinions voiced by both sides over the years on issues.
Bad tempers have flared.  It is unfortunate that some people here can't put
their predjudices aside and acknowledge the fact that "the other group" made
some forward progress for all our benefits.  I'm sure that LIFE members
would applaud this progress if the AFA engineered it.  Because it benefits
ALL ferrets and ferret-lovers.  Now is not the time for negativity.  We're
on a roll.