From:
"Patty Israelson, Beggars & Thieves Shelter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 16:53:49 -0400
Greetings Fellow Ferret Fanciers!!

I wanted to give everyone an update on the latest events with the
legalization process here in Plano, TX.  I spoke with John Longstreet, the
Mayor of Plano this week and he said that he is going to put the ferret
issue on the agenda for June 24th.  However, this is to be a WORKING SESSION
ONLY, and he has STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that we have ONLY our experts there to
answer questions from the city council members, and to work with them on
drawing up a new ordinance legalizing ferrets which will include the best
interests of both the City of Plano and the ferret owners.  I got the
distinct impression that if we have all of our supporters at the meeting on
the 24th, it will do us more HARM than good!!  Once the "proposed ordinance"
is written, it will be put back on the agenda for a public hearing and
possible vote.  This COULD happen as early as July 8th, but I won't know for
certain until I get a confirmation from the Mayor.  When we are CERTAIN of
the date, then we will need full media coverage, and all the support from
the public that we can get!!  There WILL be Animal Rights Activists there to
speak out against us, and we WILL need all the supporters we can get to show
the city council that we are serious.  It doesn't matter whether or not you
are a resident of Plano; if you are a ferret owner and live in a local city
where ferrets are illegal, then you MUST be at this meeting.  Other city
governments are going to be watching the outcome of this vote and, IF AND
WHEN ferrets are legalized in Plano, then they will become more receptive to
changing their laws too!!

If you have any questions about the legalization efforts here, please feel
free to call me, Patty Israelson at 214-424-5262 or Mary Sue Kelly at
214-422-5580 and we will do our best to give you the latest current
information on the legalization process that we have at that time.

Thank you one and all for your support and encouragement as we work through
this process.

                                            For the Love of Ferrets,

                         Patty Israelson and the Beggars & Thieves Ferrets