Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:21:56 -0400
An anonymous poster told a funny story yesterday about an interaction with
someone who confused ferrets with parrots - Well we've had it happen twice!

First story: Years ago, George was out with his First Ferret Freda on his
shoulder.  A person he didn't know approached him and said, What's that?  A
ferret, George answered.  O, said his new acquaintance, Can it talk?

Second story: A friend and her 8 year old - who's maybe a little dyslexic
or whatever it's called now - were visiting.  The child had never seen
ferrets before and fell in love - but she kept saying "parrots" by mistake.
Later we were in another room where we have a huge poster of a tropical
scene complete with flamboyant parrots.  Look!  said little Margaret.  More
ferrets!

Each story is funny, but taken together, it makes me wonder about how the
brain works, how the way we use language affects how we think, & not just
the other way around...

---sharin