From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:48:11 +0000
>... I can not understand people's obsession with their hatred of the
>RSPCA, as they are also a welfare and rescue group they should be
>subject to the same requirements as every UK breeder or person who
>rescues any type of animal *Snip*

It is not so much "people's obsession with their hatred of the RSPCA"
that is the issue here as the proposal to formalise this "welfare
charity" as the overall authority for animal welfare despite the fact
that the RSPCA has repeatedly been shown up to be sadly lacking in that
area having lost sight of its original aims.  Until they have achieved a
near blameless standard of excellence they have no place judging others.

Despite several instances of behaviour that fell woefully short of that
which most would expect of an officer (strange title, as they are not
Officially "empowered" by any statute) they have refused to give clear
undertakings to ensure that such behavior is not repeated, I am thinking
specifically of an incident in Cardiff a couple of years ago amongst
others).

My problem is with an organisation that regularly acts as if it were a
body with statute powers when it knows full well it isn't.

My Problem is with an organisation that does all it can to fleece the
public by forever "pleading poverty" while spending millions on new
offices and while sitting on millions in the bank.  (ask just how much
have they spent on prime time TV ads begging for more money and a new
HP building?)

My problem is with a "welfare" organisation that manages to drown a
Tortoise in the mistaken belief that it was a terrapin, or Murders (Sorry
I refuse to use the word Euthanase in this connection) a Healthy young
Ferret (that has managed to get lost and surrendered himself to the
police... clever weezil) because it is too inconvenient to house it
overnight, those are just two incidences arising from the actions of
this so called welfare organisation.

I have a problem with a welfare organisation that behaves with a "don't
question us" attitude, or a "we are always right and you are wrong if
you don't agree with us" attitude.

I have a problem with a welfare organisation that can misidentify males
as females, or that can set itself up as the ultimate arbiter of how many
pets it is appropriate for a household to have.

Inspecting rescues will most likely be farmed out to... well lets see..
which Pseudo police organisation would love the power to enter premises
at will and declare what is right or wrong, in the full knowledge that
99% of courts take them at their word and given the fact that my
understanding is that once they confiscate an animal no one but the
society and its vets has access to it?  (clearly a breach of legal rights
in defending a prosecution by denying access of an independent expert..
(and please don't tell me that the RSPCA vets are totally independent).

Our thoughts to those with sick or angelled sock stashers
Cris Page, Skweek and Rhoobarb

In loving Memory of...
Bubbles (Warweezil) First Ferret par excellence, leader of the Furkidz
Custard (Cussieangelweezil) Twin Sister of Rhoobarb
Forever in my heart