From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 02:49:33 -0500
Dear FMLers,

I am in need of advice!!  I usually lurk and only on a few occasions do I
reply or post anything.  Here's what happened...To celebrate the turn of
the millennium and a major turn in my life, my parents took me to celebrate
in Disney World.  Seeing as I have 5 animals of my own and they have 3, we
had to board the 2 inside dogs and my 2 fuzz-butts.  The others (3 cats and
an outside dog) were watched by a WONDERFUL pet sitter!  The problem lies
in the fact that the place I boarded them for the 10 days did not take the
care I expected of them.  It was agreed at the time I made the reservation
and visited the kennels that their cage, which I provided, was to be kept
in the Cat Area and once a day they would be run in the Cat Jungle Gym Room
(completely sealed and safe) for a half hour.  When I dropped them off I
was told to put their cage and them in the kitchen and that they would be
run in there.  After refusing to leave them under those circumstances it
was agreed to the original plans of cage in Cat Area and play time in the
sealed off room (Cat Jungle Gym).  We got back early and seeing as how I
was going through fur withdraws I went to pick up my babies... unannounced.
Now there cage was clean (basically), they were asleep (as always), and the
girls who cared for them said they were angels.  They proceeded to tell me
how funny Noser was when they let him out (he's a clown) and how sweet
Pandora is and quick to give kisses.  Everything seemed fine.  As we were
missing and went back in to ask about it.  That's when it all fell apart!
I was told that they didn't know anything about the squeaky and since they
neglected to write it down on the chart I must be mistaken but the girl who
cared for them said she remembered it.  As we continued looking for it I
was informed that they had been let out to run in the cat area and not the
sealed room away from any other pets.  They were turned loose in an area
that has exposed pipes and cage cleaners and tons of places to disappear
through and under!!  Not to mention that the whole reason I had to bring
their personal cage was because they easily fit through the cat cage bars.
Now what ferret wouldn't want to say hello to a strange cat and play
alittle cat tag??  Now it gets even better!!  When I questioned where they
were run at I was informed by the owner "I was extremely surprised we took
as good of care as we did of them!!!  I'm completely surprised!" And that
is a direct quote!!  And all this after being assured "We handle ferrets
all the time and this is no problem!" when the reservation was made.  Now
my question for you guys is... What, if any, viruses, diseases, symptoms,
etc.  should I be looking for since my ferrets were allowed to roam freely
around with strange cats.  I'm freaking out that they may have picked
something up.  I just thank goodness that nothing happened to them on their
free roams in a un-ferret proofed area.  Both seem happy and healthy but
I guess I'm just paranoid.  As for the 2 dogs we boarded there... both are
in the process of getting baths seeing as how the Pomeranian is soaked in
urine and feces and the cocker's feet are actually stained yellow from
walking in urine!!  You can not imagine how guilty I feel right now!!
There will be a extra treats for all tonight!!

Thanks for any input you may have in advance and apologies for the length
of this post!  I'm just worried!  If anyone is in the Knoxville TN area
and would like more information, including the name of this kennel please
contact me at [log in to unmask] (also any information should go there
too)

Sincerely,
Missy and the TN Brat Pack
Noser, Pandora, Tisket, Tasket, and Madeline

PS... Congrats BIG on your recent award!!  :)  You deserve it!!