From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:29:55 -0800
>From:    Betty <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: To Zen... Once Again....

Terribly sorry.  That specific bit was a more generalized comment not
specifically stating that you were angry.  Angry wasn't exactly the word I
meant either.

You are very correct the medium sometimes hides inflections that would make
it more obvious when spoken.

Certainly no anger from me either.

>From:    Josephine Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: stains on the carpet.......and ferret in heat?
>Also i was wondering, if you have a ferret with a swollen vulva, and you
>treat it with a hormone shot every ten days, what exactly does it do?

The hormone shot is supposed to fool the jill's body into thinking she did
her thing with some handsome hob.  If you are lucky (we usually are) it
takes but one shot.  If the swelling goes down, you have a breather.  If it
doesn't with in a week try a second dose.  More than that and you have a
bigger problem.

>if the swollen vulva is as a result of incomplete spay, has she gone into
>heat?

uuuuuhhhhh... eerrrr... depends upon how you REALLY wanna define a "heat".
Yes for having to get a hormone shot (I'd certainly try that over a dud
stud or vasectomized hob in such a case) but no in that she isn't able to
reproduce.  I don't know the 'formal' definition but think it is a heat.

>but now she has started shedding like crazy, both top coat and undercoat,

Thats a part of the pseudo-pregnancy whe will undergo.  Its normal.
Nothing to worry about.  Normally that lost fur is supposed to become part
of her nest for the kits if there were any.

>she has started to become anemic.

Not based on what you are saying.  Sounds like the normal aftermath of
being brought out of season.

It would be very good if a vet can find and remove the leftover ovarian
tissue but things sound 'right' for the situation.  It sounds like you are
doing well by her.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian