From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 23:14:29 -0700
>From:    apayne <[log in to unmask]>
>Also has anyone had any experience with Russian Blue's and ferrets.  I
>don't want to spend my money on a horribly expensive cat if it's not
>likely to get along with my ferret.
> -rebecca payne

Hi Rebecca.  I have a Russian Blue.  It will depend on the individual cat
of course, but Russian Blues are said to be one-person cats and somewhat
shy.  This is true of my cat.  He has never bothered our ferrets (up to 10
ferrets in the house in the past), though they have messed with him plenty,
such as running directly beneath his belly as he tried to speed away,
messing with his feet (he hates that!), and leaping on his back and riding
him like a little horse.  He took it all with good humor, occasionally
making a snap at them, but never to harm.  Most of my fur kids are sixish
now, and don't bother much with him, but when my friends bring their
younger, rambuncious fuzzies over Wellington sometimes becomes a large
furry ball to leap upon.  The young ferts think he's great fun!  He is 19
now, and blind, and he still takes this goodhumoredly and ambles off
grumbling, since he can't leap on chairs anymore.  He did get in a little
tiffle once, with Gadzook.  I'd made a new bed for Mr. Wellington in my
office and apparently there was a little turf war going on, with Gadzook
miffed that Wellington had a new bed.  A neighbor had stopped by and I was
introducing him to our fur kids, and the neighbor was a bit nervous.  Just
as I'd handed neighor the late, and great, Tarzan, I heard hissing and
snarling and mucking and chuckling in my office and out ran Wellington
with Gadzook leaping on his back and biting his neck like a little leopard
hunting prey.... The neighbor handed Tarzan gingerly back and I can only
imagine what he thinks of ferts!

So, in short, Wellington has proven a great ferret cat, and a great cat in
general.  He's been very devoted to me, and has proven his "blue blood" by
never leaping on counters or showing any ill-mannered behavior.  He's very
stately and quiet, but also very gentle, loving, and playful.  One thing,
though, Russian Blues do have a reputation for longevity, so make sure
you're prepared to have your new kitty for a long time!

Lynn and the Furry Five