From:
AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 09:58:27 -0500
I will not be subdued by zealous rants of unfounded fears so here goes
[please direct all responding rants and vengeful viruses and mail dumps to
the email address above :-)].

Declawing is a very emotional issue in *both* the cat and ferret community.
It is very similar to the back alley abortions performed years ago, and in
some cases, even today.  Why declawing is such an emotional issue is a
mystery to myself and for the vets and board certified surgeons I have
spoken to in private.  We could certainly parade hacked up declawing
procedures just like bungled abortions in defense against the procedure.
But rest assured, a proper procedure does not adversely effect the ferret's
ability to walk, run, play, jump, scamper, etc.  I invite anyone to come to
Miami and visit my critters [I'll even throw in a cup of tea].  They are
welcome to bring their ferts along to play with mine and see for themselves
what the absense of front claws bring [my ferrets can beat up your
ferrets....[smile]].  Foster especially, he is a rescue that in the three
months I have had him has put on 2 1/2 lbs of muscle, lost his face-lunging
and hard bloodletting-biting, and has become an affectionate and loving
"terror" to all.  He is agile, quick, loving, and an accomplished wrestler.
He has also been declawed since his arrival[the horror!!!].  He is not the
exception but the rule in my experience of my ferts in six years.  So why
all the hooplah when compared to, let's say, castrasting a male for
admittedly and mainly behavioral reasons?  Who knows.

I am definately a minority here, but despite all the zealous hype, declawing
continues [just like abortions] in both the cat and ferret community.
Physiologically, it is somewhat different for ferrets than cats and the
procedure must be performed by an experienced vet [I would certainly demand
to first see their results in others].  However, properly done, there is no
reason for any adverse effects.  I respect the positions of others on the
forum, some of whom I know and care for, and who vehemently disagree with
me.  Whether they have seen hack jobs or just developed their position as
part and parcel is of little bearing because they have a right to whatever
they hold.  For those who claim to be so "scientific" they can be highly
directed by emotional rhetoric.

I certainly would expect the AFA to come to the same position as most if not
all cat associations in banning and villifying declawing.  This paradigm
will not change tomorrow nor the day after.  Most declawer's keep it to
themselves, vets, surgeons, and owners, because of the vehement and dark
backlash [sound familiar?].  Perhaps my ferrets are the ONLY ferrets who are
not adversely affected by this procedure...I find that statistically
unlikely though.  Some on the forum have lamented over the "demise" of my
critters and wished me repentance.  I appreciate the thought and care of all
ferret caretakers, and do not find their misdirected concerns too
distressing.  If declawing means a safe, happy, welcome, loving, caring, and
successful home for ferrets, so be it.

The procedure is not cheap, however, recovery is quick and complication free
going by the six ferrets I have.  Like all surgical procedures it is not
without the same risks.  It should not be done either too early or late in
life.  Their "feet" will look exactly the same upon inspection and
comparison EXCEPT for the absence of claws.  As I have stated previously,
anyone who doubts this can come to Miami, really.  I have already surprised
several ferret diehards after I have let them examine and play with my
critters.  But do you think even after they witnessed with their own eyes
the physically innocous nature of the procedure that their positions
changed?  Nope.  Beliefs are tautological.

Until next time,

best wishes,
alphachi