From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:31:06 -0000
The Twins and Tragedy--1987-1989

The remainder of 1986 passed with no further misadventures other than the
small everyday ones that ferrets somehow manage to get themselves into.

In mid winter of 1987, Scott and I went on vacation.  The critter sitter
came in twice a day to check on the little ones and to feed and take care of
their needs.  At this point, all the ferrets had free run of the house.
When we returned home, it was to find that Button had somehow managed to
escape.  Our critter sitter made every effort possible to try and locate her
but to no avail.  We feel that once she got outside, she got lost in the
woods that surrounds our home.  We were heartbroken.  We continued our
efforts for weeks afterwards to try and locate her.  More heartbreak was
soon to follow.

The ferrets weren't allowed in the computer room.  Rascal slipped inside
without Scott's knowledge.  Scott didn't realize that he was hiding and left
the window open.  When I came home from work and began to feed the babies, I
could not locate Rascal.  I searched everywhere that he liked to hide.  When
I opened the computer room door, I immediately saw the hole in the screen
and realized what that meant.  I began my search efforts outside.  I believe
that he might have found his way back home if it had not been raining that
night.  During the following weeks, I tried locating him in every way that I
could think of.  I would get up before sunrise, thinking that he might show
up in the yard in the pre-dawn hours.  I searched the acres of surrounding
woodlands.  I purchased a Hav-a-heart trap and successfully caught two cats
and a skunk, but no Rascal.  I visited neighbors.  I left messages and ads.
After this, and to this day, I refuse to have the windows open unless I am
right beside the ferrets.  I believe that having an animal escape and not be
found is far worse than losing one to death because one always wonders where
he is and what has happened to him.  I truly hope none of you ever have to
deal with an escape.

Sweetcakes was expecting!  In June, the Twins, Widget and Bookem, were born.
The rest of the family accepted these new additions quite well.  The older
ones taught the Twins all the neat little ferret tricks that they had
learned.  Widget and Bookem learned their lessons well and even came up with
a few ferret tricks of their own.  Bookem was a very shy little girl, who
would always shake and shiver when picked up and held.  Widget was exactly
the opposite.

Our family was happy.  Each of the ferrets was so different in personality.
Precious was content to sleep curled in my lap for long periods of time.
One could not get Spirit to stay in one place for more than five seconds.
Yogi and Lucky were inseparable.  Sweetcakes lived up to her name in every
way.  Lady monitored her children and disciplined them when necessary.
Everything was progressing smoothly until the horrible September of 1989.

We trusted our vet (we don't take our animals to this person any more and
never will) who advised us that since our ferrets stayed inside, they really
didn't need any type of shots.  (Stupidity on my part for not questioning
that advice, but she was supposed to be the expert.)

Lady started sneezing and coughing, became quickly dehydrated and lethargic.
She was rushed to a new vet who had moved into the area from Louisiana.  He
gave her fluids and administered antibiotics.  A few days passed and we
again took her to see him, only this time, it was in the wee hours of the
morning.  He again gave her fluids and then placed her into ICR.  We lost
her a few hours later.  SUNDAY # 1.

Lucky began to exhibit the same symptoms as Lady.  He, too, was taken
quickly to the vet.  He was hospitalized on Friday and we lost him a day and
a half later.  SUNDAY # 2.

Spirt's symptoms began that Sunday.  I was becoming frantic.  I was losing
my babies and couldn't do anything about it.  My vet was also quite
concerned.  He began making calls to ferret experts across the country.
Spirit passed away quietly in my arms the following Sunday.  She sighed,
looked up at me and went to sleep.  My vivacious little girl was gone.
SUNDAY # 3.

Sweetcakes was next.  She tried so hard to be brave and she refused to be
apart from either Scott or myself.  She left us a few days later.  Sunday #4.

I had reached the point that I could not even fathom the thoughts of the
approach of another Sunday.  Early, Monday morning, my doctor called to
inform me that one of the experts had gotten back with him and stated that
it appeared to be canine distemper from the symptoms displayed and that the
remaining ones needed to be vaccinated immediately.  I gathered my children
and took them straight to his office for their vaccinations.  The crisis was
finally over!

The dynamic trio makes their appearance in the next chapter.

Margaret, Scooter, Coco, Merlin, Rusty, Fancy, Princess, Gismo, and Harley
        (and Scott:  "Hey Margaret, have you seen the TV remote")