From:
"Cindy C. Sooy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:19:43 -0800
Ferrets do have nightmares.  One of my 7 week old kits was crying out in her
sleep the other day.  Her eyes were half open and rolling around, a definite
sign of dreaming, and she started making little barking noises.  I picked
her up and tried to gentley wake her.  She kept twitching and barking but
slowly woke up.  It must have been a pretty bad one, she had also sprayed.

I've also noticed that kits start dreaming when they are a few weeks old.
Their legs move like they're running and they make little squeeking noises.
I always wonder what they could be dreaming about.  They are still blind
and deaf at that point and have very little knowledge of the world about
them, yet they seem to be running and playing in their dreams and at that
age just sort of crawl around.  I would love to know what is going through
their minds.

Cindy