From:
Heidi Lepak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:57:09 -0500
Any time there is no hope to relieve pain and suffering other than putting
a pet to sleep, I personally feel that this should be done.  You say that
Ootz is 9 years old, and maybe soon it will be her time.  She is not in
pain, right?  And she still loves to be held when you feed her, I assume
you use a syringe and there isn't too much forcing involved.  Hold her,
love her and let her sleep all she want until her time comes.  My Rocki had
a kidney removed in Sept and I am still feeding him with a syringe as that
is the only way that he will eat.  I've tried to wean him to a bowl of baby
food, but I guess he doesn't like the odor.  In a syringe it goes directly
into his mouth and he eats about 15 cc at each feeding.  After eating he is
active for about 45 minutes and then goes to sleep until the next feeding
time.

I don't think you are being selfish in wanting her around a bit longer,
after all she has been part of you life for 9 years.  Only remember that
if the force feeding is uncomfortable for her or if you feel that SHE is
suffering...then it is time to let go.  Here's hoping you have a little
more time with her.  Hug her and cuddle her.  I even just pick mine up
while they are sleeping and hold them in my lap....they know your love
is there even while they are sleeping.

Home Page updated  Aug. 1, 2000
Come see Rocki & Silveretta
www.geocities.com/huronna