From:
Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:24:04 PDT
I guess it is upsetting to me when somebody compares ferrets with boat
ownership.  Is a boat a living, breathing thing?  I think not.  I recall
several people getting angry over ferrets being referred to as
"merchandise" (time to re-stock the shelves).  A hobby?  Come on!

I guess all of us that have human children are also partaking in a hobby.
I just don't think that is a good choice of words and it carries somewhat
of a flakey connotation.  It is not that I take my ferrets seriously (that
would be impossible because they do so many funny, amusing, whacky things)
but I would never call them a "hobby".  Regardless of the dictionary
definition, "hobby" strikes me as a "trend" just as some people crochet
for a "hobby".

Ferrets are living, breathing creatures and do not deserve to be called a
"hobby", "trend" or "fad".  I know my children would have a fit if I told
people that they are my "hobby".  They are not merchandise, nor are
ferrets.  Please call your inanimate objects or activities, "hobbies".  I
prefer to consider my ferrets as much more important than this.

It is my opinion that calling these animals "hobbies" is what drives
people to impulse adoption without looking into all the facts.  I try to
discourage that from happening.  When you make a veterinary appointment,
discuss with the vet how happy you are that he is maintaining your "hobby"
and then see the reaction.  Then you can understand the connotation that
the word "hobby" portrays.  Also, ask an animal activist if what they do is
their "hobby" (I don't mean the crazy ones who let animals run amuck, but
rather those who are fighting for a good cause).  Also, does this mean
shelter operators have a house full of "hobbies"?  This is so amusing to
me.  I don't know of a single shelter operator (or have not met one) that
would refer to their animals as "hobbies".

I think I will go buy a new soccer ball, since that is my hobby.  I am
pulling out my stamp collection, even as I write.  What an enjoyable hobby!
(LOL)

[Moderator's note: Dee, you've made your point several times and are now
repeating yourself.  Let's end this topic now, please.  BIG]