From:
Joe Forzano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 07:57:12 -0500
Hi all,

Just a question regarding finger/foot nipping.  Our ferret Gizmo is 13
weeks old and of course she loves to run rampant and play.  It seems that
if she feels she is being ignored for a short period of time, she'll run
up to my wife or myself and give either of us a nip on the toes.  Same
goes for if we are holding her and she is trying to get down on the floor -
she'll wiggle around for a while and then resort to biting fingers.
Nothing serious - she hasn't broken skin or anything, but what is the best
way to curb this behavior?  Also, do young ferrets go through a teething
period?  I though maybe that was one of the reasons for the nipping.

One last thing.  One of the first tidbits of information that I read before
purchasing our baby said not to put her down when she is wiggling/biting
to be let down as this will make her think that whenever she wants to get
down, biting is the way to do it.  I think that I have been pretty good
about holding on to her when she tries to get down, but how long does this
adjustment period last?  Does it depend on the ferret or is it just a
matter of constant repition?

Thanks much,
Joe, Kim & Gizmo