From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:15:16 EDT
We've had several ferrets infected with the Bot fly larva here in New
Hampshire.  The latest was a ferret that was found outdoors.  The woman
who found the ferret wanted to keep her, and did so for several days.

She noticed several sores on the ferret's side and neck, so she took it
to a local vet for treatment.  The vet thought it must have been caused
by a bite from a wild animal, possibly rabid, and reported it to Public
Health and the local animal control when the woman refused to have the
ferret killed and tested for rabies.  Instead she rushed the ferret to
our shelter.

We took the ferret to our shelter vet, Dr. Dutton, who removed the larva
and gave us some antibiotics to prevent infection.  Then, we had to
reassure Public Health and animal control that the ferret had not been
bitten by an animal.  Thank goodness the woman had more sense then her
vet.

Dick B.