From:
"Ferret Aid Society..." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:45:55 -0500
I want to say thank you to all the lovely people who got back to me about
Akasha.  We were at the vet today, and he's 100% positive it's not an
injury, 80% positive it's not an infection and 90% positive that it is a
tumor.

He didn't want to do x-rays, mostly to save me the expense since he is
pretty sure that it's a tumor.  She didn't have a heart murmur as we were
told so many years ago by another vet.  She could have had surgery years ago
to correct the problems, but we were told her heart wouldn't make it.

So, instead of x-rays, we will be doing exploratory surgery on Wednesday to
see what exactly it is, and IF we can fix it.  We are also trying
antibiotics in case it is an infection, and if they begin to work by
Wednesday, we'll cancel the surgery.  He says he can feel a lump in her
spleen, and that she has all the feeling in her legs, she's just got no
muscle at all, and her belly is where her weight is and she just can't
support it.  She weighs 2.7 pounds, and he says almost all of it is in her
belly.

I also investigated the possibility of insulinoma, but the vet said that
since I was giving her Timmy's and ensure, they both have sugar or honey and
she should have responded to that.

She hasn't lost control of her functions since yesterday, and she ate a
little for me today.  I'm just hoping that it's not a tumor and may be the
meningitis that Dayna has worked with.  I have the Clavamox so we'll soon
find out.

Many thanks to all of you out there. If you can think of anything else for
me to try, please let me know.

All my love, Randy