From:
Nemecheks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 06:53:37 -0500
Hi there,

I read your post.  sounds like they gave you some hell about getting a
ferret when you have small kids?  I have small ones too, ages 2 and 4.
And yes it is possible to for ferrets and children to co-exist, just some
people on this board don't know it or think so.  My kids have never ever
harmed our ferret in the year that we have had her.  They too know mommy's
room is off limits, and they also know they better not touch the ferret
with out a parent around.  As long as you are a responsible parent, and
you supervise your 4 year old, it'll be fine.  (we also have 3 cats and a
small dog, and have had those for years, and they too have never been
injuried) The best bet, at least I have found, is not to mention the kids
on this board, or you'll probably get flamed.  (It's sad that people would
rather flame than give advice.) I too wish that I could adopt from a
shelter, but I can't find any in my area or even in my state that will
adopt out to families with kids under 6.  And by the way, when I first got
ours from a pet store, she bit too.  She bit me hard a few times.  I just
had to work with her and hold her alot, even though she bit me, for her
to learn I wasn't going to hurt her.  I tried this technique that worked
well.  Every time she bit me, I would pull her away, and put her up to my
eye level (so she was looking at me) and I would say in a really upset
voice "OWW!  That hurt!".  I kept doing that, and after about 2 days, she
never did anything more than nip at me in play, and that doesnt' hurt at
all.  Good Luck with finding a new fuzzy!

Jessica