From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 20:40:15 -0500
I have had a broken computer (now have a new one) so am trying to read a
whole month of FML's.  I have both comments and questions.

Has anyone else experienced soft stool from TotallyFerret?  My ferrets coats
convinced my vet to switch to TF.  I had been complaining about soft stool
to the point that we finally decided to try treating for giardia.  Still
soft.  The only thing that seems to make a difference is when I feed them
more QC+ cat food which they would eat instead of TF if I let them.  That
firms things up somewhat for Boris although Giesela is still frequent and
soft.  Now my vet is complaining that Cowboy's stool has gone soft.

My ferrets love ferrettone, ferretvite and nutrical and being the spineless
person I am I probably give them too much though I try not to.  Raisans are
only a treat if they are smeared with one of the above.  Is there any way to
lobby the makers to make a "treat" version without the ingredients that stay
in their fat like vitamen A?

Giesela is a monster for eating things that are bad for her.  The more I
ferret proof the stranger the things she eats.  One, she's a cotton eater -
any cotton material is fair game.  She has had one blockage surgery.  I try
to be careful - but how many surgery's can they go through?

For new(er) ferret owners; I have started to be very watchful of attitude
regarding illness' like UTI or blockages.  I have found the most subtle
changes that I think are just tiredness or something will usually end up
being something wrong.

My two love playing in the bathtub but for some reason the play gets too
rough in the tub.  The bathroom is off limits when I'm not home.  Anyone
else?

Our local zoo, has ferrets they use in their "Predator" show, where they
bash ferrets and put out all sorts of WRONG info like "ferrets are bred to
be vicious killers".  My vet and I both wrote letters and neither of us
heard anything back.  If your in south central MI don't go to the zoo
advertised near I-69 and I-94.  The poor ferrets are dragged all around the
local community by different volunteers that handle them with gloves.
Oooohhhh it makes me angry!

My ferrets have made themselves a ferret condo out of my 4 kitchen drawers -
they crawl up and down the back of drawers - "which one should I sleep in
today?" I have nowhere to put by plastic wrap and foil:) I also put food in
the bottom drawer so they can eat in bed.  What a life!

Mary, Boris <"where's the treat lady?"> and Giesela <"we need a bigger
house, I'm done with this one">