From:
Animal Lover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 19:17:46 -0400
I would like to add my comments to yesterdays post by Cheryl on the
discipline of ferrets.  I TOTALLY agree with what she said.  Our fuzzies
are mouthy, and we know this and why should they be hit for something that
IS NOT their fault.  Our hand is as big as they are and one little smack
anywhere on them could seriously hurt them.  I do not agree with plicking
or flicking them either, but that is just MY opinion.  My 6 month old
female Daisy is very nippy right now, and I posted for suggestions on fml
(thank each one of you for the personal email responses) and I made sure I
told you that hitting, or flicking WAS NOT an option for us, as we do not
hit our babies.

How can anyone hit such a little, loving animal?  I know we try to
discipline them so that they behave and listen to us, but we are talking
about a 2-3 pound animal here, and we seriously could hurt them.  Working
in a vet's office, I see many animals brought in for injuries brought on by
their owners that could have been prevented.  A rabbit was brought in the
other day because when the bunny wouldn't go potty on one side of the pen,
the owner got angry and not only smacked it's butt to the point it hurt the
rabbit and needed x rays, but he slammed it's face down very hard into the
poop and the nose was cut from the wire on the bottom on the pen.

I know we all have our own way of discipling our animals, but please try
another alternative to hitting.  Daisy really chomps on my ankles and feet
and it hurts, but I could never ever turn around and raise my hand to her,
as I know that ferrets are nippy and need to be trained, and I know that
even when trained they can nip in play.  Please do not flame Cheryl for her
comments, as she is very concerned for other animals and she IS entitled to
display HER OPINION on the matter, as we all are.  As Cheryl said, why
should a ferret be hit for something they do that comes naturally to them
and IS NOT their fault.  I am NOT flaming or even addressing the person who
may have done this, just another opinion from a regular fml'er.  Thank you
for listening and thank you to those who emailed me with suggestions, it's
nice to have other ferret parents come together to help each other out.