From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 12:05:00 EDT
I'll add to the confusion on ear dots.  Two is supposed to indicate a MF
ferret.  I have 2 ferrets that have one dot in the right ear.   At the time
I bought one of these, it was supposed to be from Path Valley.  A second one
bought at the same time and place (ostensibly the same origin) has "clean"
ears.  Years later we got another ferret from a different place (no
specified origin) that has one dot.   Anybody know if PV uses one dot or if
the ear dot is an MF exclusive and subject to some variation?  Or do others
use this dot confusion as a form of trademark infringement to add appeal?

Why do ferrets evoke such fear and a desire to ban?  Let me tell you about
my initial days as an owner.  Now I've worked with all sorts of animals
(snakes, rats. etc.) from a young age, so I'm not squeamish about them.
When I got my 1st ferret, I wanted him so much and enjoyed his antics.
However, he looked like a weasel, had some teeth that looked nasty, and did
these wild things that I wasn't used to.  At some deep core of my being, a
little fear of this "wild" acting monster lurked.  The rational part said,
"Boy, is he fun."   This inner part warned, "How can you trust such a
strange critter?  He could really get out of control."    There were moments
that I wondered if I hadn't made a huge mistake as I looked at him sleeping
like an angel.   These fears passed in a short time as I got used to his
ways.

But, I think that the uninitiated may have these same fears and no
motivation to overcome them.  They only see an animal that resembles
something wild and that  acts in ways that dogs and cats don't.   Primal
fears stir and they react strongly.   There are even old pranks like the
ferret-in-the-box that play on these fears.   It's the old myths about
ferrets combined with personal impressions that make them want to avoid
ferrets (and outlaw them).  We've had many people visit that know we have
them and how friendly they are.  They still flinch at the gentle touch of a
paw on their legs or cringe at the thought of trying to retrieve whatever
was just stolen from their purse.   It takes effort to get beyond this and
some people just don't want to expend it.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \