From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:32:43 -0700
OKay I broke down and responded since it wasn't just redundantly saying
"its a name".

>From:    Lady Weasel <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: gigas
>The term *gigas* has been used in the mink industry for a very long time
>to denote a mink of exceptional size.  It is derived from the word *giga*
>(as in gigabyte).

Well then its simple.  Doug McKay is a mink rancher more than a ferret
breeder (or actually now his son is).  Before you get too upset with him,
Doug was an autoworker that was injured on the job (I believe it was on
the job) but was in his mind cheated out of his disabilty income.  He had
to find something he could do within the limits of his health.

>I find it hard to believe that as long as you have been in business you
>have *never* called the offspring of a particular line by the original
>sire's name.  Doug has no control over how ohter people choose to use the
>name or what type of *twist* they put on it.

Actually Ed Lipinski DOES name all offspring based on the parents.  But in
a rather twisted and hard to read manner.  We often talk about our kits by
using their sire's names.  Some or Genghis babies.  Others are Buddha
babies.  And so forth.

And I should have guessed you'd remember the story better than us... I was
talking to Diane about htis and we both knew he had a reason for the Gigas
but couldn't pull it out of the back reaches of our minds.

>From:    Matthew Ardill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Demi Gigas
>actually demi is derived from the french demie, the word for half.  demi is
>similar in meaning to "semi" and means more literally "half of".

Those of us who are musicians that know both American and English terms
know that a 32nd note is also a hemi-demi-semi-quaver... So you can and
hemi to that list of rhyming synonyms...

Perhaps Demi Moor(e) is half Moraccan?  <grin>

>From:    Eve Kochel <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New Coat Without a Shed?
>I thought they only get new coats in the winter?

Ferrets debut their new wardrobes twice a year with their spring and fall
lineups.

The spring fashions typically reflect sleeker silohuette and darker and
more uniform coloration while the fall fashions are highlighted by fuller
fabrics with lighter snow toned hues.  Apparently ferrets choose to follow
theanti-fahsion fahsion conventions of color choice compared to the fall
drab and spring bright human fashions.

- bill doubling as a fashion correspondant and giga-jester...
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets