From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 07:42:57 -0400
To address the recent pleas with regards to adrenal disease (early
manifestation - age 4 and under).  It appears that there is a significant
increase in adrenal disease as of the past few years and, perhaps we really
need to take a very broad look at the case by case accounts and assimilate
some type of database.  Therefore (though I do not pretend this is perfect)
I am submitting the following questionaire.

For those who wish to participate please fill out one copy FOR EACH FERRET
individually.  REPLY with subject line - ADRENAL REPLY.  Give me a bit of
time to collect the data and I will formulate some type of readable vehicle
and reply back.

THIS IS NOT INTENDED AS AN ASSAULT OR ATTACK on any breeder or facility--
this is a means of looking at a broad audience.  PLease do not take offense
no matter which farm you assume spokesmanship for.  OUr interests are
strictly of a scientific nature.  We hope to shed some light on a dark
issue.

Thank you all in advance for your replies.
Fill in a separate reply for each ferret PLEASE!
In subject line type: ADRENAL REPLY

Qualifying ferrets should have -

A- ferret -- who have had surgery for their ferrets with pathology results
    cofirming adrenal disease
 &
B- after a length of time adrenal symptoms returned and either were
   diagnosed- or have not had the ferret diagnosed for bi-later adrenal

would please email me with the following information.

1.  Sex of ferret     M/F      Was it purchased altered at pet store?

    Tattoos?  please describe / state source of ferret if known from records

    Was the ferret altered at time of prchase?  If not at what age was it
    altered?

2.  age of ferret (and date) at initial onset of adrenal symptoms

3.  Listing of symptoms exhibited:

4.  Date of initial adrenal surgery:

5.  What changes did you see in symptomatic behavior after surgery:

6.  How long before symptoms recurred:

7.  Was ferret diagnosed with adrenal disease of the remaining gland?
    on what date?

8.  Was a treatment opted instead of surgery? If so what?

9.  What were the results of the treatment?

10. Was surgery performed to remove the second adrenal gland?

11. What significance was noticed in syptomatic behaviors?

12. Was any additional treatments given in addition to surgery?  How long?

13. Is the ferret still alive?

14. How old was the ferret when it passed away?

15. In retrospect -- how do you feel about the treatment protocol which was
    used?  Were you satisified?    Would you recommend the same to others?