From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:57:38 -0400
Anonymous wrote
>We'd like to make the switch to wood pellets.  Any suggestions on how
>to make the switch easier for the ferrets?  Any advice on using wood
>pellets?  Are there certain kinds that are bad?  Good?  How long does
>a __ pound bag last you for your __ ferrets?  We live in the Northeast;
>do we need to stock up for summer?  Will it go bad somehow?

To get your ferrets used to any different litter, mix a little in with
their normal litter.  As you scoop out the box, gradually add more wood
pellets.  If they start digging or missing the box, decrease the amount
of new litter for a while, then try again.

I've noticed no significant difference with several brands that I've
gotten from various home supply places (Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor
Supply).  Some pellets are darker or lighter color, some bigger or
smaller pieces, but I've noticed no major difference in performance.
Others may have different experiences.

A 40 pound bag lasts my 4 ferrets a month or longer.  Yes, you will
probably need to stock up for the summer.  Do so by March or April at the
latest.  A couple years ago during a particularly cold winter there was a
nationwide shortage, and they were unavailable in many areas after
February!  The stores start stocking them again by September.

As long as the bags are kept dry, the pellets will last a long time.
If you keep them in the garage, put a couple 2x4s under the bags so
snow melt from your car won't get the bottoms wet.

Happy digging to your fuzzies!

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH