From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 08:27:55 EDT
>I don't understand where everyone gets the idea that nose flicking is
>hitting.  Hardly!  A flick on the nose is gentle, meant to startle the
>animal out of what he's doing.  A hit is meant to inflict pain.  Hits
>are done with the hand, forward or backward.  A flick is done with the
>fingertip.  You can flick ants off the picnic table and watch them continue
>on their way, why would a flick on a ferret's nose be so damaging?

Let's all use the same words so we have a common frame of reference shall
we?  D.  Elliott described, and continues to describe, her action as a
thump, not a flick.  And just what does the word thump mean?  It's a
transitive verb meaning "to strike or beat with or as if with something
thick or heavy so as to cause a dull sound." Other meanings for the word
are "pound, knock, whip, thrash." None of that sounds particularly gentle
and harmless.  In fact, all of the definitions sound pretty violent in
nature.  BTW, although the definitions for the word "flick" are less
violent that those for "thump," all include the words "light blows" or "to
strike with a quick, sharp motion." A little less violent, I'd agree, but
still involving the infliction of pain.

The truth is that hitting an animal just isn't necessary.  It is a fast fix
used to establish dominance through shock, fright, and pain.  Does it work?
Sure it does.  No animal likes pain.  What amazes me is that some people
can justify using pain as a training method.  There are better methods that
can be used to socialize ferrets that don't involve pain.  So, the question
remains - if there are other methods available that do not involve the
infliction of pain to the ferret, how could anyone justify using pain?  I
am always amazed at the line of defense that runs "yes, flicking is hitting
the ferret, but it's not hitting the ferret hard." Hitting is hitting.  A
blow by any other name is still a blow.  Prettying up what a violent action
is called doesn't make the action any less violent.  And, it certainly
shouldn't make a violent action any more acceptable.  The bottom line
should always be that the hands that provide food, care, and loving
caresses should never be used to cause pain.

Scott