Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2011 03:36:25 -0400
>Does anyone here know if ferret adenocarcinomas respond well to
>radiation, chemotherapy, or both? Are those regimens well tolerated
>by ferrets? Do they make ferrets comfortable and extend their lives?
>Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I would strongly suggest that you talk to a vet who is very
knowledgeable about ferrets, and do so soon. You may not have much
time left.

I'll try to give you a quick synopsis of my understanding, having
researched this subject somewhat, and having spoken to my two vets
about it when dealing with one of these last year. Basically, unless
it's surgically removed, there really is not much to be done to stop
this aggressive type of tumor. And even if it is removed, a carcinoma
will often grow back fairly quickly. I tried piling on the melatonin
and Deslorelin, but my boy still passed away within a 3 months of
diagnosis. His adenocarcinoma was on the right adrenal gland and was
too large for surgery, having engulfed the vena cava and also having
compromised another organ.

Sometimes chemo will help with lymphoma, but that's a different form
of cancer. But I don't think that it can help with a carcinoma.

Again, find a really good ferret pathologist or vet and speak with
them, even if it costs you a consulting fee or office visit. It's the
only way you'll get a more definitive answer.

You can also read more at Dr. Bruce Williams' site, although when I
tried accessing it just now, it was down:

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html

Jeff
In Loving Memory of Neo, Trinity, Morphy, Possum, Pip, Pop, Sabrina,
Minnie Mouse, Hunny, Misty, Frodo, Baggins, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Luna, Baby Girl, Dozer, Boomer, and Zoomer