From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:15:18 -0700
What a truely fascinating subject!!  Several people have offered refuting
statements regarding a number of Bob's points, but examining it from a
scientific and objective point of view, I can't find fault with a single
thing he says.

Melissa states that no processed food is as good as a natural diet
because of such and such nutritional traits the processed diet lacks.
But the fact is, Bob didn't say they were.  He said that IF a processed
food possessed the same nutritional traits as a natural diet, it would be
as good.  And really, a molecule IS a molecule is a molecule.  From what
I read, I don't think Bob was in any way defending the use of kibbled
diets as nutirionally sound compared to natural ones.  He mearly stated
that processed or natural made no difference if the nutritional levels
were the same.  IF.  They aren't, so they aren't.

As to ad lib diets leading to obesity, unfortunately April's observations
are largely anecdotal, and suspect for a number of reasons.  While diet
IS a leading factor in obesity it is not the only one.  For instance, the
ferrets she sees in the clinic may represent a particular segment of the
population of ferret owners in her area.  Ones that are A) Concerned and
savvy enough to get the animals medical treatment at all, and B) Perhaps
especially picky to take their ferrets to THAT clinic.  These ferret
owners may be more likely to properly excersize their ferrets, and most
likely provide higher quality kibbles, and surely with April working
there, among others, I imagine, these ferrets benifit from perhaps more
generally knowledgable owners than others might.  Therefore, these
ferrets might be less likely to have problems with obesity regardless of
diet.  Not to mention that the sampling in that case is far to small to
reveal any sound conclusions.

The domestic ferret's life expectancy is higher in a domestic position
than in the wild primarily due to predators and accidents.  Their hunting
instincts are also not as sharp, but that is NOT the primary reason they
are not likely to survive.  The domestic ferret's life expectancy is
higher than that of its wild relatives, (If that is the case, I don't
know.) also because of predators and other inherint dangers in living in
the wild rather than safe at home, out of the elements and away from
animals that might like to eat them.

This type of truely scientific discussion really appeals to me.  I'm
greatful to Bob for posting.  Finally, someone has laid down specific and
scientific explanations of WHY certain dietary elements are or are not
necessary for ferrets, giving data to back up the statements.  In most of
the books I've read, even the really good ones, it has been more a matter
of "Ferrets are carnivours, so they don't need carbs, so don't give them
sugary treats," but then a few sentences later, "Ferrets need food
available to them at all times, (Specifically atypical for a carnivour,)
and the best way to accomplish this is with high quality kibbles
forumlated for ferrets." These two statements seem fairly at odds with
each other, even IF they will lead to a more healthy ferret than NO
recommendations of that kind.

So, what do we do with the information that has been provided to us so
graciously by Mr. Church?  Do we struggle against it because of our
preconceived notions about ferret diets?  Who gave us those notions?
Where did they come from?  I'd be interested in knowing exactly when, and
it was probably within the last 50 years, the typical American pet ferret
became a kibble eater, and why.  I live in Nebraska, where domestic house
cats are commonly used as "mousers".  These cats also have kibble
available, but their primary diet is the mice in the barn.  Is this a
cause for concern for those who think ferrets shouldn't be fed mice?
Would it be better if poisons or traps were used in the barn, which
houses or shelters any number of other wild or domestic animals?  Anyone?

Melissa Kuzara
Mira, Robin, Samurai, Nietzsche, and O'Dell
Missing Cael, Booboo and Tasha always

=====
Melissa
www.geocities.com/lostferrets