From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:31:53 -0700
Dear All, By all accounts, this season has been a rough one for all
shelters.  I have worked closely for years with my sister shelters on
the East Coast, and I know first-hand that we all are currently working
to full capacity.  However, Friday morning Kim Sikorski and I picked up
62 ferrets.  24 hrs earlier there were 76 ferrets, and the breeder is
being held accountable by Washington County Animal Control as to there
whereabouts.

Thanks to Rob and Lynn Toole, we have the bedding to accommodate the
cages.  We are very grateful for SOS recognizing the urgent need and
donating directly to United to cover our CEP testing.  However, we need
your help financially in supporting the distemper vaccinations, rabies
vaccinations, neutering and spaying, and all the possible medical
expenses that will come from this rescue.  We have received ferrets
ranging in age from 4 months to 8 years, all intact, and unsocialized.
They saw sunlight for the first time today, and they danced in their
carriers while waiting for us to load and transport.  They have lived
their entire lives in an unventilated, windowless, garage, with the
human contact being when they were fed and watered.

We can most certainly expect some very special elder kids in need of
surgery or supportive medical care for life.  One little girl that looks
to be at least 8yrs and still intact, hair loss indicates adrenal, clung
to us from cage to carrier.  She didn't want to let go.  This is just one
of the special kids in this rescue.  We are looking for special homes,
for special kids.

This is a major rescue, and we need your help financially.  The last
large breeder rescue on the East Coast that Kim and I coordinated
included 33 ferrets, at a cost of over $3,000.00, with a veterinarian
doing the surgeries at near cost.  We need funds, pure and simple.
We will triage all these ferrets, first and foremost collecting and
sending in blood for the United CEP ADV tests, beginning the distemper
vaccinations, rabies vaccinations and have a vet examine and diagnose
each ferret.

62....SIXTY-TWO.....Can you help?  If so please direct your donation to
[log in to unmask] , or send a donation, made payable to Rocky's at
Barb Clay, 832C Falls Rd., Parkton, Md.  21120.

We are a pro-adoption shelter....no matter what their need, we know
there is a family capable of loving them through it.  Once triaged, we
will accept the outreach from our sister shelters that has already been
offered, and certainly consider any other offers of help to make this
horrible situation the best for the ferrets that are tonight finally
safe and comfortable here at Rocky's.

Thank you
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs Rocky's Ferret Rescue and
Shelter, Inc.