From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:19:50 EST
>From:    zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: zen on championship shows and fun matches
>
>>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: FerretFrolic/Olympics Activities in Seattle twice yearly.
>>
>>You've been bashing ferret shows for quite a while now.  Why?
<snip>

Have to agree with Zen on all points on this post.  Ferret shows are a great
way of educating ferret owners and potential ferret owners, and promoting
ferrets as domestic companion animals to the community at large.

One other note (and no, I'm not trying to be political here), LOS-NJ will no
longer permit kit sales or adoptions of any type to take place at it's shows
or on the grounds of same.  We have discussed it amongst our membership, and
feel that it is not an appropriate place for a ferret to change hands, it
does not help in prevention of disease control and bite incidents to have a
lot of strangers handling ferrets, and it is simply not needed.

Adoptions and sales should be handled in a more controlled environment so as
to keep down the impulse buys and make going to a new home less stressful
for the ferret.

Shows need to be made more of a place for the typical ferret owner to
socialize with other typical ferret owners, rather than a breeders showcase.
We will however continue to encourage shelters and breeders to rent tables
to display photos of ferrets for adoption and other informative materials.
I hope other LOS divisions, as well as the AFA and other clubs will join in
with us in this policy.

-Anne