From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 08:03:10 -0500
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet Question: Foot Pad Deterioration

From your description it could be a cellulitis or exudative process.  In
cats, viruses can also cause a similiar process, although I have not heard
of such a thing in ferrets.  Warm water soaks might help.

This is one of those things that it would be better to see.  If it appears
there is more keratin to the pad (evidenced by a crusty, pad texture), you
can try something like Kerasolv by DVM Pharmaceuticals.

>From:    Anthony C Sulpizio <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: lymphosarcoma
>I have a six year old female ferret who has swollen lymph nodes in the neck,
>inguinal area and behind one rear leg....

Have your vet check out Vet Clinics of North America/Small Animal Practice
Exotic Pet Medicine II January 1994.

>From:   Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:Vet Queston:Hormone therapy treatment for bilateral adrenal tumors?
>I have been wondering with all the posts relative to adrenal - bi-lateral

The adrenals function in many more ways than just steroid production.  Our
ability to microscopically control all its functions is rudimentary at best.
By leaving some of at least one gland, you provide the vital feedback
systems that are needed.

>Date:    Tue, 27 Feb 1996 21:14:58 -0500
>From:    Denis & Edith Dubois <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: medical question
>I think we may have a problem with our little girl.  Whidbey is our five yr
>old silver mitt who probably weighs under a pound.

The two big rule outs are adrenal gland versus retained ovarian remnant.
See the associated FAQ for details.  If the vulva swellings is periodic, you
probably can take a wait and see approach.  But there are risks, namely that
the swelling is secondary to estrogen from a remnant.  The estrogen can
cause irreversible bone marrow shutdown.  The easiest disgnostic method is
the University of Tennessee ferret adrenal panel.

>From:    Robert Butler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sniffles and Sneezes
>I know that there are no stupid questions but this one may come close.  Can
>a Ferret get a cold?  Fred is sneezing and has a runny nose...

Yes, human influenza is definately contagious to ferrets. Other things that
are possible are strept throat and bacterial types of colds.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.