From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:20:09 -0800
Alejandro Vergara wrote:
>My Mother has three Daschounds, one of them is going to have puppies soon,
><...> Would it be safe?  Is there someone outhere withe daschounds and
>ferrets that could tell me their experiences.

Hi, (and no flames please, this is what worked for us)
I have a female and a male ferret.  The male about two years old and the
female is older (rescue.) We got an eight week old Dachshund puppy about
three months ago.  The female ferret just runs off and explores the house.
In the beginning, the male ferret, Persi, would keep biting the dog and
trying to drag him away.  The dog yelping the entire time.  Persi is very
aggressive.  Well, we had to teach the dog not to be afraid of the ferret.
So we'd hold the ferret and 'give' his tail to the dog.  After a couple of
weeks, the two of them have come to a compromise.  The dog LOVES to play
with the ferret (who just wants to explore) so the dog will grab Persi by
the tail and drag him across the tile.  The ferret will turn around and
chase the dog and nip him on the tail.  So they each have learned to respect
each other.  You can tell that the dachshund doesn't want to hurt the
ferret, he just wants to play.  And what's funny is......the dog does the
same thing ferrets do...he drags 'his' toy away!

SR