From:
Shawn & Lori <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:13:59 -0800
Hello,

I am again posting a request for advice on opening a ferret shelter in
western North Carolina.  The area is in much need of a shelter; there is
not a single one on that end of the state.  To answer some more of your
questions, I have had experience with working in a vet's office, but I
have had limited experience at animal shelters.  To avoid most of the
legality issues regarding a shelter, I do not plan to get a 503(C)
certification and will operate unofficially; this is my choice, and I
do not have the room to type out my reasoning in full on that matter.

From what I have heard and experienced myself, running a shelter, from
the very beginning, is a learning process.  You may scoff at my "calling"
to work with ferrets, but I can promise you my life would be absolutely
incomplete without them.  I am determined to do what I can to help the
ferrets that need homes in the western North Carolina/northern Georgia/
western South Carolina/eastern Tennessee area to the best of my
abilities, always learning and always providing them the best resources
to live happy and fulfilling lives as I am able.

Only one shelter responded privately to me to give me support.  I hope
this second inquiry will get more responses.  I would like advice on
cages, food, medicines, diseases, shopping, and the other things you
might wish to tell.  I know I am in for a bumpy ride, and that's o'kay;
I will make mistakes and learn from them, like all of you.

From:
Lori Richardson
(Lance, Loki, Merlin, Nikita, Pirate, and Smokey)