From:
GALE PUTT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 08:53:31 -0500
First, I want to thank Dr Williams for all the info on Sarcoptic mange, so
far the ferrets are fine, the fox is improving, but I seem to have some on
one arm,yechhhh!  I've been told it is self limiting in people, they only
stay for 3 weeks!

Introducing ferrets:  This usually works for us.
Bring both ferrets to a new area where neither has ever been, there must be
NO odor of ferrets there (not even old odors).  Have some interesting toys
or objects there that no ferrets have been near.  Brown paper bags work
great.  Even the addition of one toy with either of their scents on it can
cause a big confrontation.  After they have been exploring this new area
singly, they notice each other and introductions begin in a civilized ferret
fashion.

Hedgehogs and ferrets
Although the hedgehog may be able to protect itself from the ferrets, the
amount of stress to the hedgehog is such that it is hard to imagine it would
have a happy life.  The constant stress will also affect its eating and of
course, its health.

Toys ferrets can't rip or get sick from:
For our permanent ferrets( who could probably reduce a bowling ball to dust
in an hour,team effort) I use toys made for dogs made of very stiff rawhide,
slippers, balls, etc.  when one of them decides to start chewing, nothing
sharp breaks off and it gets soft where they chew.  For Christmas, I have a
really big stocking for our fuzzies, when they empty it, they curl up and
sleep in it.

  A really Happy Holiday to all our Ferret List Friends
     Gale & Jay Putt Long Island NY
     Pandora, Herc,Delphi,Dickens,Molly,Belinda,Meeko,
    Suzy the pot-bellied shmutt (dog), Squeak the permanent Raccoon
      Charlie Fox and all the wild guys spending Christmas at our rescue