From:
David Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:07:41 -0500
At 03:00 AM 12/6/01 -0500, it was written:
>It was PETA that made it clear that eyes were on what happened to those
>ferrets.  It was one lovely lady from PETA that took the time to call
>there nicely several times, and then contacted me throughout the day.
>She asked the questions I asked her to ask, and gave the info I asked
>her to give.

I have no desire to re-enter the animal rights vs animal welfare debate.
To each their own.

However, I do want to say that this report mirrors my personal experience
with PETA.  Even when they can't do much more than make a few telephone
calls, they at least do that for you.  And often they put people in touch
with local contacts so that you can network towards solutions -- or at
least spread the word so you can make more noise.  The simple truth is
that the people at PETA have repeatedly demonstrated to me that they
really do care about the animals -- and about helping those of us who do
our best to act as a voice for the voiceless.  And no one at PETA has ever
said "Ferrets?" as if I was speaking about something either strange or not
worth serious consideration.  Sadly, I cannot say the same for every
humane organization.

Of course, I encourage everyone to support their local shelters and
educational organizations as well.

How's that for expressing an opinion while trying to not offend everyone?

Fondly,
David
with the approval of Johnny and Edgar (the Winter War Dance Brothers)

Ferrets just don't play the blues.