Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:12:05 -0400
I know that in the past, I have complained about too much advertising on
the FML.  Well, now it is my turn to make a sales pitch.

All of this discussion on the FML about raw vs kibble, and the general
topic of ferret food and nutrition got me thinking.  Hadn't I seen that
this topic was going to be covered at the Ferret Aid 2006 Symposium?

Now, although I am a member of the IFC Committee, it is the Canadian
Chapter of the IFC that is presenting Ferret Aid 2006, so I really did
have to go and look at the program to make sure I was remembering
correctly.  And, yes, I was.

There will actually be 2 speakers on Sunday speaking on the subject of
diet and nutrition.  And, these 2 speakers have slightly different
points of view, so we will get to hear some differing opinions.  This
will not be a one sided look at the subject.

Bob Church is one of the speakers.  Many of us are familiar with some of
his ideas, but Bob is an excellent speaker and fun to listen to.  So,
whether you agree with his ideas or not, he is entertaining.  Plus, Bob
is always researching and bringing new ideas into his talks.  People who
have known Bob over the years have likely noticed an evolution in his
ideas, so we should not expect to necessarily hear more of the same
during his presentation.

The second person speaking of diet and nutrition is Ann Martin.  Now, I
am not personally familiar with Ann, but I am told that she opposes a
raw diet.  However, she has also spent the last 10 years researching the
pet food industry, and is also against feeding commercial pet food.  Her
recommendation is that per owners prepare their own cooked foods for
their pets.

Ann has written 2 books on her research, and some of the information she
uncovered is more then shocking.  Here are links to the Barns and Nobel
listings of her books, for anyone who wants to know more about her and
what she will likely be addressing.

>http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y
&isbn=0939165465>

>http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y
&isbn=0939165422>

Additionally, here is part of the blurb from the site about Ann's books.

>Ann Martin continues her thorough investigation of pet-related issues,
>revealing more shocking facts. Carefully and methodically, Martin
>explains the ongoing problems with most commercial pet foods. She also
>builds a strong case against the popular raw meat diets, and questions
>yearly vaccinations, making a convincing link between increased cancer
>in pets and overvaccination.  Protect Your Pet includes healthy recipes,
>alternative choices, and solid advice.

This sounds like it could be a very interesting talk, regardless of which
side of the diet discussion you are on.

But wait, if you attend the Symposium, you get a bonus, because on Friday
Dr. Dennilyn Parker will also be addressing some diet issues in her talk
on lymphoma and insulinoma!  Yes, that is right, folks.  If you attend
the Ferret Aid 2006 Symposium you will get to hear thoughts on ferret
diets and nutrition from 3 different speakers!

OK, so much for the corn.  I am not very good at it anyway.

But, the point is, diet and nutrition will be discussed at the Toronto
gathering.  It will give people a chance to ask questions, and to hear
some differing opinions.  It will give those who attend a chance to
learn more, and thereby make more informed and enlightened choices.

And, in case you thought otherwise, I am all for learning and making
individual choices.  I do not try to ram any one way of thinking down
anyone's throat (at least I hope I don't).  Instead, I am for people
having access to information, so that when they make their choices,
they can make informed choices.

So, how can you register for this program and make sure you are there
to hear these exciting talks?  All the information can be found on the
Ferret Aid website at:

    http://www.ferretaid.org/events/ferret_aid_2006.html

Additionally, links to the Ferret Aid site are provided on the IFC
website:

    http://www.ferretcongress.org/

I hope to see some of you in Toronto!

--
Danee DeVore
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator