From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:35:09 -0500
A growing body of evidence has shown humans derive significant benefit
from their interactions with animals, the most significant being
increased lifespan, decreased blood pressure, lowered pulse, and
decreased risk of stroke and heart disease.  Additionally, pet
interactions have been shown to decrease the chance of mental
deterioration.  The positive attributes of human-pet interactions are
not a one-way street; our pets derive major benefit from them as well.
Mutual enrichments are simply those that cause a major interaction
between the pet owner and the ferret, such as that which occurs during
grooming, training, extended play, explorative activities (walks in the
woods, exploring the shoreline, etc.), and when nursing a ferret during
an illness.  The common thread relating these varied events is a strong
human-ferret interaction.  The interaction is mutual, as are the
benefits.

Training ferrets seems to be oxymoron; how can you train an animal who's
only desire seems to be pushing the limits of the concept of "free
spirit"?  However, ferrets are not only intelligent, they are slaves
to their desires for treats, so training is not only simple, but will
proceed quickly once the ferret understands what it is you want them
to do.  One important thing to understand for the ferret owner is that
training IS NOT necessarily the ferrets performing tricks, like rolling
over, or standing up.  Ferrets are quite capable of such tricks (most of
mine will perform them on command), but training can include potentially
life-saving "tricks" as physically responding to a specific sound (useful
in house fires or escapes to the outdoors).  Training ferrets really only
requires time, treats and consistent interaction, and there are several
magazine articles, FML posts, and even a book that discusses how to train
ferrets (the reader is referred to those sources for specific training
techniques).

Whistles, clicks and squeaks have far more value in training ferrets than
either voice or visual commands.  Part of this reason is because ferrets
evolved as solitary hunters, and therefore have a limited communication
"vocabulary." For example, dogs use a combination of visual (tail
position, tooth exposure, body posture), olfactory (seasonal and personal
scents), and vocal (barks, whimpers, growls) clues to communicate to each
other.  Ferrets use the same "vocabulary", but differently.  Because
ferrets are domesticated polecats that evolved as same-sex territorial
exclusionists, vocal messages are limited in value compared to olfactory
(or even visual) communications.  It is not that ferrets are "too dumb"
to listen to voice commands, it is just that they tend to speak an
olfactory language rather than an auditory one.  Also, it is possible,
based on the range of sound frequencies discernable by the ferret's ear,
that SOME of ferret vocalizations MAY be beyond the ability of the human
ear to detect.  Ferrets can hear better than cats, dogs, and humans,
probably so they can be better hunters in a burrowing environment, but it
is certainly possible ferrets can make and detect auditory communications
ferret owners have no way of detecting (this could be a reason why some
ferrets have such a strong reaction to squeaky toys and crying babies-
-they hear something we don't).  The bottom line is that ferrets have a
simplistic auditory communications system compared to humans and dogs, so
ferret owners can garner better results when using basic sounds rather
than complex verbal commands.  For example, use a unique whistle when
giving treats, a clicker for trick commands, a slide whistle before going
on a walk, and a squeaky toy for dinner calls.  Once you have the ferret
trained to the sound, THEN you can use visual signals to communicate to
the ferret what you want them to do.  For example, I make a series of
clicks when I want my ferrets to roll over or stand up, but I use a hand
signal so they know WHICH trick should be performed (the "roll over"
command is a few clicks, followed by my hand making rolling movements,
while the "stand up" command is the same clicks, followed by my hand
held above their eye level).

Bob C